NEWS: UK courts are open to anyone aggrieved by compensation for MAU MAU veterans - TURNER

Friday the 14th of June 2013 - UK High Commissioner, Christian Turner, on Thursday said that any persons who feel aggrieved by the compensation monies recently offered to several Mau Mau veterans are welcome to seek redress in British courts.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LDmXAGYSWio/UbsKeQUxlhI/AAAAAAACWuo/r8LE9kPssq8/s1600/turner.jpg
Speaking at celebrations to mark the birthday of Queen Elizabeth II, Turner said that the compensation recently announced was only for members of the Mau Mau War Veterans Association;

“This settlement was reached between the British Government and the Mau Mau War veterans Association and it was very specific to a set of personal injuries,” he said.

“As far as other groups are concerned, in the end, any group has the right to bring the case under British laws to the Courts,” he added.

The Sh 2.6 billion compensation for 5,228 Mau Mau survivors was announced by British Foreign Secretary, William Hague, last week. Hague said the money was to compensate those who had been tortured during the emergency period in the 60’s;

“I would like to make clear now and for the first time, on behalf of Her Majesty’s Government, that we understand the pain and grievance felt by those who were involved in the events of the Emergency in Kenya. The British Government recognises that Kenyans were subjected to torture and other forms of ill treatment at the hands of the colonial administration,” he said.

“The British Government sincerely regrets that these abuses took place, and that they marred Kenya’s progress towards independence. Torture and ill-treatment are abhorrent violations of human dignity which we unreservedly condemn.”

Since the compensation was announced several Mau Mau associations have crawled out of the woodwork to decry the fact that they had been left out of the settlement.